5 Tips To Stop Waisting Food



Freezer: The freezer is your friend.  You have some berries that are not looking so fresh?  Freeze them and use them in muffins later.  The sliced ham you had planned to make sandwiches with is about to go bad? Freeze it and have it on a pizza.  If you don't know how to freeze certain foods, just Google it! 

Buy less: Buying in bulk is usually the way to go to save money on groceries except if you end up wasting a part of what you bought.  If you always end up not eating the third of the huge box of cerela, you didn't save money!

Make more small trips to the store: Gaging how many of each fruits and vegetables you will need for the week is tricky, especially if you're buying for more than one person.  If you tend to buy too much, going to the grocery store more often will help you get only what you need as you're only shopping for the next couple of days,    

Pre-portion:  If you follow the first tip I give, the 10$ pack of ground beef you recently bought is now in the freezer.  Go you!  The problem is that when you take it out of your beloved freezer, you will have to cook it all because raw meat can't be refreezed.  You have two options: make multiple meals (which is a lot of work) or make one big meal (which means eating the same thing for days and probably throwing away some of the leftovers).  I'm not fond of both options so I freeze all my meats in portions: that way, I use only what I need!

Be creative: Not wasting food can take creativity!  You have red bells peppers you got thinking you would have the motivation to chop some everyday to snack on?  Even if that New Year resolution is a fail, you can still figure out a way to use them.  Again, Google is your friend: you can find a recipe for a specific ingredient pretty easily.  You can also be creative and make up your own!

If you have tips to share, please leave them in the comment section!

19 comments:

  1. Great tips! I hate wasting food and these are awesome ways to do it as little as possible. Thanks for sharing!!
    xo,
    Tatum
    thepaceblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I tend to buy food in bulk thanks to Costco so I either have to forcefully eat everything fast or throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go to Costco since I'm only shopping for my fiancé and I...I feel like I wouldn't save that much because I'm not buying that much....what do you think?

      Delete
  3. Those are all great tips! That's exactly what I do... put everything in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine living without a freezer haha

      Delete
  4. Freezing and buying bulk always go hand in hand for me. That way I don't waste food but still save money. Great tips!!

    xx Sarah | Loser Girl Wins

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally obsessed with freezing things now! The boyfriend and I got sick of having to throw things out after having them go bad, so freezing has become our new thing for good leftovers and such!

    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! It's so frustrating to throw away food you have paid for!

      Delete
  6. Great tips!! I also love to freeze fresh fruit for smoothies too! xxx

    http://stephlui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think of making smoothies...I usually use my frozen fruits in muffins. Smoothies wold be a different option, I will try!

      Delete
  7. Hi Emilie! I found your blog through Pinterest. I love these tips! I've gotten into a habit of searching my fridge on Fridays for leftovers. Then I use your creativity tip to make a meal with them. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great routine to have! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Creativity in recipes is definitely my biggest weapon when it comes to not letting any of my groceries go to waste! Sometimes that results in slightly odd combinations (chopped pears in my oatmeal, tomato slices added to fried rice, etc.) but I feel so triumphant when I use all produce and make healthy (if odd) meals without wasting food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're soul sisters haha not wasting food is also kind of a challenge for me!

      Delete
  9. great post! freezer is a life saver haha!


    xx,
    http://www.mycupofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete