How Your Relationship Can Make You Spend Less



I'm not telling you to go out and find a boyfriend if your spending habits are out of control!

I spend less when I'm in a relationship.  That's a fact.  Spending less is not a phase: it's now part of my lifestyle.  When I came to that conclusion, I started thinking about why my spending habits changed.

Going out:  I don't go out as much as I used to. I still have a social life, don't worry, but it's different.  First of all, my fiancé and I have our own apartment so we don't need to go out to have alone time like we used to when we each had roommates.  We hang out at home a lot and we just don't feel the need to hit the nearest bar for a late night drink since we can have it at home!  

Cooking:  I like to think that I cooked more than the average college student when I was cooking for myself only.  However, getting motivated to cook a complete meal for yourself only can be a challenge.  That's why I was buying more premade meals (which are pretty expensive for what they are).  I was also eating out a lot more than I am now, grabbing lunch after work or grabbing a sandwich from the grocery store on my way home.  Now that I'm not alone cooking and that we're making meals for two, I'm motivated to cook more which saves me money.  Also, grocery shopping for two is a lot cheaper than shopping for one as you can buy in bulk.  

Being accountable: I'm going to be a married lady in a few months so it would not feel right to spend whatever I want whenever I want because "my money" is not something I will get to say anymore.
  My fiancé and I are very open about what we spend and that has changed the way I spend my money. We do not restrict each other by any means but we both want to save for our future.  Every time I buy something, I ask myself if it's a purchase I would feel comfortable explaining to my fiancé.  If not, it means it's not useful or would not make me happy so I don't buy it!

Am I alone in this situation?  Let me know!


12 comments:

  1. I think that I spend a bit more since I am traveling more/paying for hotel rooms, but that is because my boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. Once we live together, I imagine we will definitely spend less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense! I hope the two of you are reunited soon :)

      Delete
  2. I WISH I spent less because I was in a relationship. I love cooking, but my boyfriend and I love going out to eat, it's a win/lose situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! Who doesn't love going out to eat?!? We go sometimes but our favorite thing to do is to make something we wouldn't have on a regular night (Like SUSHI!!!!)

      Delete
  3. Being a college student does have it's downsides when it comes to cooking. My dorm didn't have anything but mini fridges and a microwave so I spent way too much money on frozen dinners that weren't even that good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that! Sometimes you got to do what you got to do!

      Delete
  4. Living with my boyfriend is a HUGE money-saver. I would never be able to afford an apartment if we weren't going halfsies on the rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I used to live in a bigger apartment because I was living with a friend and we needed two bedrooms! Splitting the rent for a one-bedrooom is a lot cheaper!

      Delete
  5. These are good points and so true! The accountability is key!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not in a relationship, but I love to cook, especially if it's with someone whose company I enjoy! :D I'm also all for being a homebody since I don't drink and dislike super-noisy places where I can't hold a conversation, so I feel like it'd help with the whole non-spending thing too! :D Definitely a way of life for me too, and much easier on the wallet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking with someone is the best! I'm happy I'm not alone in the homebody club ;)

      Delete