Should You Adopt A Pet?

Look at him striking a pose!


Before I start, I know a lot of people have different opinions about how pets should be treated. This is my take on pet adoption and I don't claim to be right!

My roommate of last year had a cat and it was the first time that I had a pet in my home.  I have to say that I LOVED having this cat running around and I got pretty attached to it. My fiancé was at my place a lot and he was always chasing playing with the cat. So when we decided to move in together, we also talked about getting a pet.

One of my friend that was moving back to her parents' house told me that she couldn't bring her cat because her parents already have a bunch of animals.  I immediately jumped on the occasion knowing that she took good care of it!

I know a lot of people say you shouldn't get a pet in your early twenties because you're not settled down yet: you're very likely to move around and you're not at home a lot.  I know all of that  but I figured that we had a spot for an animal in our life.  Here's why:

 Money:  Cats are not expensive to take care of IF everything is fine.  All I need to buy is food and litter which are not very expensive items.  It's around 10$ a month only so even if we don't make a lot of money, we can afford it.  I know cats can get sick so we made sure that we could pay for a vet visit if we had to go.

Moving:  We don't know what the future holds for us but chances are we're going to be moving a few times in the next few years.  I don't see this as a problem because most apartments accept cats so I don't think we will ever have trouble to find a place to live with our little fur ball.

Time:  Taking care of a pet takes up some of your time.  I would never get a dog at this time of my life because they are so high maintenance!  Dogs get bored pretty easily, the need to be trained and to be walked....That's a lot of responsibilities!  Cats are pretty low maintenance in comparison:  you feed them once a day and you clean their litter.  That's it.  You can also leave them alone overnight and they will be fine..

Overall, I think getting a cat in college or right after college is a good decision if you're serious about it.  Once the pet is in your life, you have to provide for it and to make sure that it will never get abandoned if you move.

If you have a pet or are considering getting one, let me know!




8 comments:

  1. I'm so envious. I would love a pet, but we have moved house at the minimum every year, and gone travelling for periods of 3-4 months at a time. So no pets for us for a while! I keep asking my husband for outrageous things like pegs and hedgehogs, in the hopes he'll just say yes to a kitten or dog. ;) But, we know we need to settle down before we can have a pet. They're lifelong commitments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean when you say you're not in the ideal situation to adopt a pet yet! Enjoy travelling, there will a cat or a dog waiting for you when you settle down ;)

      Delete
  2. I have a cat, she is so lovely so I get your point. By the way congratulations on having a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely with you on that! I've been moving around so much in the past couple years that it's really, really difficult to have a pet. I've found a solution to this because for the last two years, I'd volunteer at no-kill shelters (they had to be no-kill or I'd end up bringing them all home with me) and I'm now fostering a cat from one of them! :D Thank you for adopting and not buying one from a breeder! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesn't make sense to me that while people are adopting kittens, older cats are being killed in shelters!

      Delete
  4. I got my first dog when I was 21 and I've never regretted it. I've moved around quite a bit and I travel a lot too. A lot of things would be easier, and certainly cheaper with out pets, but as long as you understand that they are a priority then you are fine. Many people have pets and it's very easy to find somewhere to live that accepts them. What's not okay is abandoning them for a fancy pet-free apartment. As long as you understand it's a commitment you're good to go. I'm going to second what Farrah said and thank you for adopting. There are so many great animals out there that need homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right: abondoning a pet is not an option once you've adopted it! I don't see how I could leave my cat behind!

      Delete