Using Coconut Oil as Conditioner



I can already hear you say:  my hair is oily, I'M NOT ADDING MORE OIL TO MY HAIR.

My hair tends to be oily too and I tend to have dry ends so I understand the struggle. A part of my switch to natural beauty products was to replace my conditioner with a more natural product.  I know their are a lot of oils especially designed for hair on the marked but they tend to be expensive.  There are cheaper options but if you read the ingredients closely, you will find out that the oils are mixed with chemicals.  

That's why I decided to use coconut oil.  Why didn't I chose olive oil instead?  It would work great too but I prefer the smell of coconut oil and I like that it's solid unless it's heated.  That makes it a lot less messy.

I store mine in an old body scrub container that I keep in the shower.  The first thing I do when I get hop there is to get my hair wet.  Then I take about a table spoon of coconut oil and rub it between my hands to warm it up.  My hair is shoulder length so you may want to use more if you have longer hair.  Then I distribute the oil through my ends.  I let it sit for a couple minutes as I wash my face and my body.  The last step is to wash my hair.  

I use conditioner before I shampoo because washing the oil off will keep my hair from getting greasy.  Letting the coconut oil sit on my hair for a few minutes gives it the moisture it needs.  

I have been doing this for a while and I'm not looking back.  My hair feels soft and that's all I'm asking for.

Have you tried this trick? Let me know!

  


14 comments:

  1. Interesting trick to use conditioner first! We've also been thinking about coconut oil in our house. Her ein CHiang Mai, the water is so rough on our hair, it feels (and smells) like it's just chlorine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the oil would protect it from the chlorine when you wash it then!

      Delete
  2. That's a super interesting hack! I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would save me lots of money. Conditioner from the store is expensive stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And coconut oil is higher quality than anything you would find at the store because it's 100% natural!

      Delete
  3. oh I may have to try this, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about trying this...wonder how it would do for my daughters really thick and naturally curly hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say to start with a small amount and add more if it's not enough. Let me know how it works if you try it!

      Delete
  5. I have not used coconut oil in my hair before..I have always been too scared to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love things that have multiple uses! :P I've tried olive oil in my hair before but I was 11 and may have used a little too much, so that was not the funnest of experiences, hahaha. Coconut oil is awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Weirdly enough I don't use it for cooking!

      Delete
  7. This is such a good idea! I might have to try this, especially using the conditioner first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works with any conditioner and is a must if you have oily hair as well!

      Delete