Smart Shopping Saves You Money





First of all, let me tell you that I'm drinking a huge homemade latte as I'm writing this. Bloggers and lattés, how cliché! My outfit is far from being Pinterest worthy though.

Speaking of my not so trendy outfit (sweat pants and old t-shirt), I decided to share today my tips to shop smart when it comes to clothing. I'm at this point of my life where spending my money on clothing, makeup or accessories is not a priority to me. It used to be what I spent the most money on: back then, I was getting rid of my teenager wardrobe to start building one that was more appropriate for the young adult I was becoming. During that stage, I bought A LOT of pieces but I don't regret it because I still wear them today. Because I made smart choices a few years ago, I don't feel the need to go shopping today.

Here are my tips to smartly build a wardrobe you will LOVE:

Trendy or classic: My first tip is to shop for classics. These flowy pants we all saw this summer will no be in next summer and will end up being used at pajama bottoms. Classic pieces often don't have much to them and look really simple. That what makes them staple fashion pieces. Patterns, bright colors, leather insert are all to stay away from if you're looking for a classic that won't go out of style. A great pair of black skinny pants and a simple cream sweater will not look outdated for a while. Also, simpler item can be worn easily in a professional environment which is a big plus!

Quality and quantity: We are very lucky to have stores that offers cheap clothing like H&M or Old Navy. If you need to quickly build a wardrobe for you new job (for example), I highly recommend you shop at these places as you will be able to get a lot of great outfits without breaking the bank. If you have more time on your hand, I think it's smarter to invest a little bit more money in your staple items. I have black tank tops that I have worn under shirts for years and they are still in good condition. I also have a variety of t-shirts that I wear a lot on their own or under cardigan that are still going strong. Speaking of cardigans, I have had most of mine for years and I wear them a lot. When I buy these kind of pieces,I look for thicker fabrics and well made stitches even if it's mean I have to pay a little bit more. It's worth it because these items look better and I don't have to replace them very often.

Care: The way you take care of you clothes is going to make a huge difference in their durability. Most of my clothes never go in the dryer because the heat damages them: stretchy clothes will loose their shape, colors will fade and fabrics will look worn out.  I let all my clothes air dry and I can say that it has really improve their "aging process". And it's also more eco-friendly than using the dryer!

Now, I have a wardrobe that I love and that offers me enough options to dress for the professional world and for my everyday life.

 If you have other tips to share, please leave them in the comment section!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I'm definitely with you on going for the classics vs. the trendy (I tend to very rarely like the trends anyway :P )! I have a bunch of inexpensive staples that have lasted me years and years as well! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothes don't need to be expensive to last! I have had the same camis for years and I paid less than 5$ for them!

      Delete
  2. I'm sipping tea right now. Bloggers always need their caffeinated beverage haha. I'm there with the classics too. It's rare that I buy trendy clothes and if I do then I wear them way past their trendiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replying to this while drinking coffee haha! Thank you for reading!

      Delete