I quit my job and it was a good decision.


When making big decisions like quiting a job or moving to a different city, money is usually heavy on our mind  Can I afford to move?  Will I get a better salary with another job?

Being smart about your money doesn't mean putting it in the center of every decision you make.

I just quit my part time job that was offering me a flexible schedule and a decent salary. At the beginning of each week, I knew exactly what my schedule would be like and how much I would make,  Did I tell you that I quit to work on call as a teacher?  Yes I did!

Basically, when I told my boss I was leaving, I didn't know if I would make money from teaching in the next month.  As I'm writing this, I have no idea where this day will take me.  I don't know if I will stay here and do homework all day or if I'm going to be teaching this afternoon.

That's a completely new lifestyle and that was not necessarily a smart move if you look at it from a financial perspective: I went from a steady income to maybe no income at all.  

So why did I do this?  Well, I went to school to become a teacher.  Where I live, beginning a teaching career is known to be a rocky adventure.  Most teachers have to start by being on call and trying to get contracts here and there before they are offered a job.  That process can take up to 10 years.  Yup, that's right. years

What the hell did I get myself into?  You know what, I want to be a teacher.  And if I want to reach my goal, I have to take the plunge.  That means quiting your day job to be available in case I'm called.

Taking that plunge was not easy because I LOVE to know what's to come.  It was also not the smartest decision for my personal finances, even if it will probably be in the long run.  But I still did it because it was what made the most sense with the projects I have in life.  It's not just about money, it's about what I want to wake up for every morning.

That was a long ramble to spread one simple message: even if a decision you made will make you lose money, it doesn't need it's a bad decision,

Have you ever taken a risk for you career?  If you have, I would love to know about it!

6 comments:

  1. congrats on your new career adventure! It sounds scary as hell just reading about it, but if it's any indication, it's inspiring me to take more risks to so thanks for that ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring! Quitting anything is such a big decision... I had to drop a class this semester because I was taking an extra and was just overloaded with stress and it was still such a massive decision! It even took me so long to make the decision that I missed the 100% refund deadline so it did backfire... but in the end, you have to trust your own instincts and know what is right for yourself. You go, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I hope you're happy with your decision to drop a class!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new journey! I always admire those that take the plunge to follow their dreams because it can definitely be scary!! This is very inspiring as I'm trying to start saving to start the process of eventually being able to do the same thing, so thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And good luck to you! Saving money before taking the plunge is a smart move since you don't want to stress about money on top of everything!

      Delete