Should You Get A Master Degree?


 Let's get into today's topic.  Should you get a master degree or not?

I don't think that there is an answer to that question because it depends on a lot of factors.  Let's try to figure them out.

 Job opportunity
Depending on where you live and what you studied, you could have a lot of job offers....or no offer at all.  In that case, it could be smart to further you education to get knowledge that could make a difference in job hunting.  If you want a potential employer to pick you over someone else, you have to offer a little bit more. 

 Money
Chances are you used a student loan to pay for your bachelor degree.  Before you make the decision to get a master degree, you need to analyse your financial situation.  How will you pay for your degree?  How much time will you need to pay your student loans?  Looking at these numbers can be depressing but you have to be realistic.  If you are in a lot of debts, you might want to find a job, even if it's not related to your education, to improve your financial situation.  Studying part time, which is what I'm planning on doing, can also be an option.  Just make sure that whatever you choose, you will have enough money to provide for yourself now and in the future.  

 Learning
Graduate school is intense: you have to be motivated in order to succeed.  If you're not, you might get poor results and you won't be happy on top of that.  What's the point then?  Taking your master can be a smart idea but if you don't have the drive it takes, you're risking failure.  If you are not genuinely interested in learning more in school, don't get your master,  You will be wasting your time.

Life projects
You main life project for almost your whole life was to work toward your bachelor degree.  Now that you have it, you may have other plans like getting married, travelling, starting your business or even starting your family.  Going to graduate school is very time consuming and might get in the way of other projects you have going on. Again, studying part time may be the solution.  Just make sure that you're being realistic:  are you willing to spend 20 hours a week doing school work?  Don't sugar coat it: studying is not always happening in a Pinterest-like office with a latte in hand.  The time you spend studying is time you don't have doing something else.

Making the decisions to keep going to school  was easy for me because I always had it planned in the back of my head.  I was prepared to make this step but I know it's not the case for everyone.  When you have a hard time finding a job or are no longer happy with you're occupation, getting a master can cross your mind but it's not always the best option.

I would love to learn about your stories: how did you decide to go to graduate school?  Would you even consider it?


8 comments:

  1. that is a great post, I live in the UK and I finished undergraduate in Accounting last year and for me, masters are not a good choice, as here, potential employers care about experience + qualification.

    but that all depends on where you are and what you studied, again, great post!

    xx,
    http://www.mycupofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why it was important to me to stress about why masters are not always the best decision! Did you end up finding a job?

      Delete
  2. Love this because I'm actually on the fence about getting my Masters!

    I'm Event Management, so it's a newer field of study, but jobs aren't exactly easy to get soooo this post definitely helped me with figuring out what's best for me.

    The Budget Divaa │ www.thebudgetdivaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hard decision for sure! I would love to know what you ended up doing!

      Delete
  3. I have been debating going to grad school to get a masters, but I have decided to start working for a couple years and reevaluate. I'm going to be graduating college in May, and while my plans are not set in stone, I think it is important to look at the reasons to why or why not pursue a masters. I think you're right about saying that we may have other plans in life that we may want to pursue first. I'm still in the process of figuring things out, but this post gave some clarity and helpful tips. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on graduating, it's such an exciting time! I'm glad my post helped you in some way! Part on the problem is that we don't know what the future holds: I don't think it's possible to know without a doubt that we're making the right decision. It's all about taking chances I guess!

      Delete
  4. I am in a stage of life where I would love to get my masters. However, many factors are stopping me from doing so. It;s not financially feasible, nor would I have time to go to class(unless it's online). I actually quit teaching last year and have been debating if I did go back to school, what I would get my masters in. The fact of the matter is, I live in Arizona, one of the worst states for education. It seems having your masters as a teacher doesn't really matter. You may get a pay raise, or you may not get jobs. At one school I worked at several teachers with masters degrees were not hired on for the next year because corporate wanted to bring in Teach For America instead because they can't negotiate salary. I love learning though and have many things I am interested in. If there is a free or cheap masters degree program then that would be the holy grail! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a teacher, how great! I'm lucky enough to live in a province (i'm from Canada) where tuition fees are pretty low so the financial aspect of it didn't worry me to much. I opted for an online program for the same reasons you stated. I'm mastering in learning technologies because it could open many doors for me. Anyway, it's pretty shocking to me that teachers would not get jobs because it would cost too much to hire them. They could bring so much to a school!

      Delete