How To Start Blogging For Cheap



Actually, you don't have to spend a penny to make a blog, and a great one on top of that!  However, if you want your blog to expand, it might be smart to invest a couple of dollars in it.  Very few bloggers make a enough from their site to provide for themselves so keep that in mind!  If you're thinking about creating your own blog, I think these tips may help you out!

Picking a free blogging plateform
That pretty much means choosing between Blogger and Wordpress.com.  There are a ton of articles about the pros and cons of both of these platforms so I will let you Google that.  I personally went with Blogger and I have to say that I'm happy with my decision so far!

Making a template
If you don't want to spend a penny, you can choose one of the templates that are available from Wordpress or Blogger.  There are also a ton of free templates available online, especially if you use Wordpress.  You can always personalize whatever template you choose by trying different fonts and colors but if you want to build your own template from scratch, you will have to figure out html coding.

I will say that I tried to build my own template and that I'm glad I did because it forced me to learn more about html coding and I was surprised by how "easy" it was.  Well, it's easier than what I expected but it's still pretty hard and VERY time consuming. That's why I gave up and decided to buy a template from Etsy.  I scored mine for $2.99 which was a steal considering that most templates are around $15.  I still spent a few hours setting it up and personalizing it!  I'm really happy with the template I picked since it has a bunch of small details that I would never have thought to create myself!

Bottom line: It is possible to make a template from scratch but if you don't feel like investing much of your time in it, you can probably find a template you love for a good price if you shop around.

Finding pictures
You don't have to have photos on your blog.  But if it's important to you to see this little blog of yours growing, adding pictures to your posts is a must.  Using your own pictures is always the best but if you don't have a camera don't go out and get one just for your blog!  I don't have one and I'm doing just fine by using pictures that are free of copyright, I find most of mine on flickr.

Promoting your content
Again, if you don't really care about people finding your blog or not, you don't have to promote your work.  I personally do it because I like the idea of having readers that come back to my site week after week. Thankfully, social medias exist and can be used for free!  "Networking" is the best way to get people to visit your blog.  Join blogging groups on Facebook and interact with other bloggers on social medias or by commenting on their blog.  

Also, promoting your content is more subtle than posting your latest post URL everywhere, which, by the way, is just plain annoying.  I truly enjoy reading blogs and commenting on there and that's why I decided to create my own.  So I just kept doing that and also got involved in Facebook groups!  "Networking" takes a lot of my time but it's a fun hobby that I would keep doing even if I was not blogging.

Starting a blog is a fun little adventure and I highly recommend you go for it.  Even if you're dreaming about being the next Lauren Conrad (or Perez Hilton, who am I to judge?), be realistic and invest in your blog little by little as it grows.  

Those are my tips! If you're considering starting a blog, feel free to contact me if you have any questions!  If you're blogger, what is your number one tip for someone that is just starting?

10 comments:

  1. I love the free blogging platforms because it gave me an opportunity to make sure I really love blogging before investing any money into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I also made mistakes when I just started so it was nice to knowthat I was not wasting money! (even if I was wasting my time)

      Delete
  2. All so true! I was on free wordpress.com for SO long before becoming self-hosted...probably longer than I should have been! But it all worked out, and I gave myself enough time to shop around for the most affordable, bang-for-your-buck offerings out there. Definitely possible!

    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a good job with your blog, I love it! I'm obsessed with your wedding posts hehe!

      Delete
  3. Beginners should definitely come and read this article of yours! It's full of insights for those budding bloggers who want to write into their own space without spending a lot. :)

    Mimi | The Foxy Heroine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips...it is nice to start blogging for cheap when it can take so long to make any money at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I don't think that paying a lot to start a blog is a good investment!

      Delete
  5. I had a free Blogger blog which did just great for awhile. =) Then I stopped updating for a year and decided I wanted to pursue this full time so I switched to a paid Wordpress account. Free blogs are great for casual blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And some succesful bloggers are still using free plateforms!

      Delete