Life Update: I'm A Substitute Teacher!



First off, let me tell you that I officially graduated this Sunday!  This semester was hard and I was more than ready for it to be over.  I feel like I'm fully ready to live the adult life, Some people have it fairly easy and find a 9 to 5 job right after college and some people, like me, have it a little bit harder.

Starting this week, if people ask me what I do, I will tell them that I substitute teach.  It's definitely nice to not have to answer that I'm in school anymore!  I technically have a job but let's face it: I don't really have a job because when I get up on Monday morning, I don't know what I will be up to that week.  I could work most of the week...or I could not work at all.  My phone never leaves me because I could get a call for a job.  I also make sure to not make appointments or plan any activities during the week days because I could be working.  You're probably thinking that it's not any different for someone with a "regular" job but I think it is because I'm planning around a job I could have, not one that I already have. 

I'm someone that likes planning.  I'm not obsessive by any means but I like to know what's coming so I had to mentally prepare for this new lifestyle of mine.  I'm embracing the fact that my schedule will change all the time and that there will be a lot of last minute changes.  However, I know I will have a hard time on the weeks I won't be working a lot because I need to feel productive.  I need to feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day.  It's pretty hard to feel that way when you're waiting at home all day.  That's why I need projects!

I knew I would probably have a little bit more free time at the beginning of my teaching career so I decided to pursue my Master's.  I will take one or two classes every semester, which I know is a good investment for my future.  My blog is also going to get a little bit more love on days I'm not working!  Right now, I'm all about finding little projects to work on so if you have any ideas, let me know!

How about money?  I' surprisingly not too stressed out about that!  We don't live above our means and we have money saved up.  I have also been told that substitute teachers end up getting enough work to get their bills paid most of the time.  I'm hoping it will be my case but I like to not be overly optimistic.  If I'm not making enough from teaching in the first few years, I can always get a side job!

That was a long and rambly post but I'm in such a big life transition right now and I wanted to share with you what has been on my mind.  I will keep you updated on how my work situation is evolving.  If you are or have been in a similar situation to mine, I would love to hear form you!  

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating!! That's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just graduated too!! Congrats. This is so funny because I looked into subbing but here in Wisconsin you need to have a teaching degree, which I don't have! :( So right now I'm nannying until I start grad school. Good luck with the job search!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you! You also need a teaching degree to sub in Canada unless they can't find a teacher. Good luck in grad scholl!

      Delete
  3. How exciting! Cheers to starting your new Life Chapter! Its good to have plans on top of plans, good job on foresight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having plans on top of plans is my thing! And thank you!

      Delete
  4. Yay! Congratulations! I know how you feel when it comes to telling people what you do. I was a nanny for the past 2 years but that job ended and I've been in between jobs. I start a new job in the middle of May and I'm going back to school in the Fall so trying to tell that to someone gets exhausting haha. I hope you love substituting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty complicated situation! What are you going back to school for?

      Delete
  5. Good luck on your journey....as a school nurse I witness how hard it is for the substitute teachers! Hang in there and just do your best!! You definitely won't get paid what you deserve and you probably won't get the respect you deserve...but you are doing a great service!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know it's not going to be easy but I'm ready!

      Delete
  6. Congrats! Everything seems more difficult at the onset! I know you will do great!

    xo katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That's really exciting. I think focusing on your blog will be a great thing to keep yourself occupied. I always wish I could have a few completely open weeks to write and schedule a year's worth of posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to have time to write even if I would rather work full time instead!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations! (on graduating and getting a job) I bet you'll be a popular substitute teacher! If you can, connect with specific teachers--in the district I used to teach in we could request subs and I always had a few favorites that I'd check availability for first. Give them a business card to contact you, if that works where you'll be teaching. Plus, then you get to know kids better, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your tips! I'm planning on printing buisness cards next week and to visit avery school I could potentially work at! I have been called a few times already but I know I have to make a little effort if I want to be called first!

      Delete
  9. I substituted all last year and I LOVED it! I think you will, too! I loved that I had complete control of my schedule (I didn't HAVE to go in on a day I had plans) and I loved that I didn't need to spend hours lesson planning after school was over. I subbed at the school I did my student teaching at and it was great for me to see my students who I already had established great relationships with! Once you start making friends with the teachers, you'll be called in even more! I always leave my name and phone number with my sub notes so that they can contact me with any questions and offer to sub again!

    Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your tips! I' moving to a different district so I don't know the teachers and the students yet. I'm expecting to maybe have a slower start because of that but I will make sure to get to know everybody whenever I get a sub job!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations and good luck! :-) Such an exciting new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your graduation! A few of my friends are substitute teachers and they love having a different class each time they are called in (well almost every time). Good luck with your new job!

    www.pellerini.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty sure I will have different classes every time too!

      Delete
  12. Congrats on graduating! Yay! Working a 9 to 5 isn't always what it's cracked up to be, so I hope you enjoy your flexible schedule! That's awesome that you're pursuing your master's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are pros and cons to every job and I'm planning to enjoy my new schedule :)

      Delete