My Number One Tip To Save Money


The best way to save money is, you guessed it, to stop spending.  While I'm sure we all get that simple concept, I think some people don't realize that they're are not saving money as much as they could.

I'm talking about that girl that tells everyone that she can't do this or that because she's saving for a trip.  Oh and she's telling you about that while she's sipping on her Starbucks drink.  That, my friend, is what I'm talking about.

If we want to save money, we start thinking about big expenses that we could avoid but we forget about the small stuff, the couple of dollars that we spend here and there.  

It adds up people!  Let's think about it for a second.  If you get coffee on the go a couple of times a week and you pay about $4 every time, that's $416 spent on coffee a year.  And we're not even dealing whit a serious Starbucks addiction here!  If you like to get yourself a $3 magazine on your weekly grocery trip, that's $156 that are out of you wallet at the end of a year!  You're probably spending a hundreds of dollars on little things like that without even knowing it.

I was guilty of that myself but then I started budgeting, like hardcore budgeting.  I would write down every penny (I'm not kidding) that I spent and add it all up at the end of the week.  That's when I realized that a lot of my money was going toward stuff that was not even that important to me.  I was rarely making big purchases but the little thing I was buying here and there were adding up and keeping me from saving money for what I really wanted.

My point:  Stop spending on little things and when you do, ask yourself if it's really worth it.

I'm not telling you to stop having Starbucks, I'm just challenging you to have it only when you really crave it.

Do you feel like you spend a lot on little things? 

4 comments:

  1. OH this could not have come at a better time, my bf and I were just talking about booking a summer vacation, but our real goal is to save. You are right, we have to stop spending if we want to save. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a weakness for buying 99 cent jewelry on eBay, but other than that I'm really kind of a cheapskate so I don't have much of a spending problem. Hee hee!! Very good post! http://quirkybohomama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete