Negociation Skills



I hate dealing with cable TV and Internet companies because whenever I call them, it's never short and sweet.  The other problem is that they tend to overcharge for their services if you don't negociate.  I have moved quite abit in the last years so I had to go through this process a a few times.  I will be sharing with you what I have learned and how I make sure to pay the lowest price possible. 

You can negociate.
Most of us don't have much experience with negociating because it's not a part of our culture.  We look at the price tag and decide to buy...or to not buy.  That's not the case with most Internet, cable TV  and phones services providers.  They will never say out loud that they are open for negociation  but, trust me, they are.

Remember that YOU are in control.
If you're not being offered what you're expecting, you're free to (politely) hang up the phone at any time.  You have nothing to lose but the company could lose you as a customer.  Remember that!

Know what you want.
Of course you want faster Internet for cheaper!  In order to get it though. you need to be specific with what you're asking for.  What they offer is 5 more dollars a month than what another company charges for the same services?  Tell them that you want them to match that price.  If you're not able to get the price down, ask for extras!  

Call other companies.
There's an Internet company in my area that is know for their poor customer service.  I don't want to get any services from them for that reason but I still called them to ask what they had to offer and used that offer to negociate with other companies until I found the best deal.  This can be time consuming but it will save you a lot of money in the long run!

You're not signing a forever contract.
You're not getting married to your TV provider.  You're totally free to cheat on that provider if you find a better one after a couple of years.  I shop around once in a while to make sure that I'm paying the lowest price possible for my services and it's worth it.  Whenever I find a better deal, I call my provider and tell them about it.  If they don't want to lose me as a customer, they have to give me more for my buck.

Do you have other tips I should know about?

6 comments:

  1. Ug I hate dealing with cable companies. We got rid of cable over a year ago, and don't miss it at all. However we'd love to get our internet cost down. I need to be a little more assertive when speaking with them. Thanks for sharing these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH don't even get me started about dealing with these people!! I can't even tell you how many times we were ripped off in college when I lived with a house full of girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think nobody likes to deal with them ;)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE negotiating! My husband and I have learned that an effective way to keep rates down with tv and internet is to call any time our rates go up and ask to cancel. It works every time, our rates almost never really go up by the time we get off the phone.
    Way to be smart with your money!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how much we would pay if we just accepted their rates!

      Delete