Should You Take A Summer Class?



As you may (or may not) know, I will be graduating in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. How crazy is that!?!  That doesn't mean I will be done with school because I decided to pursue a master's degree.  I'm planning to work full time as soon as I graduate (if I can find a job) so I will only be taking one or two classes every semester.  Because it will take a while getting my degree at this pace, I have to take advantage of the summer semester!   It won't be my first time taking summer classes:  I have been taking them for the last 5 years.

Would I recommend it?  Yes and no.  There are pros and cons to this decision, just like there are for pretty much every decision we have to make.  

If you're thinking about taking one or multiple classes this summer, keep reading!

Pros 

The teachers tend to be a little bit more laid back. 
I might be the warm weather but teachers just seems more relaxed. I was (accidentally) late turning a project in and the teacher told me it was not a big deal! Can you believe that!  

You can study on a patio. 
Studying just gets easier and you still take advantage of the beautiful weather.

You get more free time...later
Taking a summer class means you won't have to take that class the semester you were supposed to!  That was my main motivation.  I'm the kind of person that can't focus on school only.  I need to have other projects going on in my life and having to take four classes instead of five time gave me enough time to be something else than a college student.  I had more time for my  part time jobs, which I loved.  I was also able to save money while being in school because I could work a lot.


 Cons 

 Your motivation level will be low. 
 It's my fifth time taking summer classes and I have had the same mindset every time: "I just have one class, I will work on it a few hours a week and I will be fine". I prove myself wrong every time. Working on a paper when you know you could be taking a walk to watch the sunset is hard, okay? I always end up doing most of my work in the last week, which is pretty bad. 

 Your friends will not help the lack of motivation you're feeling. 
They don't have classes to work on. The want to go out. The ask you if you want to go out. You want to go out but you have work to do. They convince you to go out. You go out. That's how you end up writing your final paper two days before the due date. 

 You might get lower grades than what you're used to. 
This is a warning.  The lack of motivation will make you not care about your grades. The problem is that the part of you that cares falls asleep in May and wakes up in September.  If you're planning on going to graduate school, you may not afford to get a lower grade!

In my case, there are more pros than cons to taking two classes this summer.  How about you?  Will you be in school this summer?

6 comments:

  1. Granted I've been out of college for almost 10 years, but even then, summer classes definitely were a must to graduate in a realistic amount of time. It was also much easier for me to try and recall info over the span of a summer class compared to having to remember info over an entire semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! I don't have to study as much for summer classes because everything is more fresh in my mind!

      Delete
  2. These are great tips on deciding this. I've actually always done a summer school course just to get some credits out of the way. This year I'm taking 2 courses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's the first time I take more than one so we will see how it goes!

      Delete
  3. I just completed my first year of my Master's. I took two summer classes last summer and with a three year old to look after it was a bit nutso. Having said that because I took two last summer I didn't have to take a spring one so I'm going into a few months off right now. I'm pretty stoked about that! I'll be taking just one this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a busy summer! Enjoy your time off :)

      Delete