Inexpensive Home Decor Ideas



Whether you live in a temporary apartment or have just bought a house and have a very tight budget for decor, know that it's still possible to personalize your space without breaking the bank.  Here are a few ideas:


Plants
I love plants because they add so much life to a room.  I love to see them grow and blossom!    Don't worry, you don't need to have a green thumb to keep them alive. Just go with bamboos or cactus as they are very low maintenance.


Pictures
If you went shopping for prints or paintings, you know they're expensive.  I'm always hesitant to buy them because I have no idea if they will get used in my in my next home.  Pictures frames are a lot cheaper and if you stick with neutral ones, they should work everywhere.  I love to be surrounded with pictures of my favorite moments and people.  They definitely help making a house or an apartment feel like a home.
Make your own paintings
I'm not an artist.  I absolutely hated art classes when I was in school.  But for some reason, I went to the dollar store yesterday and felt attracted to art supplies.  The story behind this attraction is that we have a little nook in our kitchen that is our designated coffee station (we're kind of obsessed with our old-school espresso machine).  We have been looking for a café themed painting but can't seem to find one that is not over $50.  That's why I decided to get art supplies and make my own.

*I don't know how this will turn out but I will post a picture to keep you updated!*


Curtains
Most apartments comes with plain blinds that are practical but not exactly pretty.  I can't stress how major curtains are in making a place feel like a home.  I  went ahead and bought curtains for our bedroom and our living room because they were the two rooms that "suffered" the most from the grey blinds.  I got both set of curtains and everything needed to put them up for less than $80 and they make a huge difference in our decor!
Throws, pillows and paint
If you were "lucky" enough to get a hand-me-down couch, chances are it doesn't match the vision you have for your place.  Getting old furniture is a blessing for your budget but not necessarily for your decor.  You can still make these pieces of furniture work.  Add throws and pillows on your couch and chairs.  Paint that brown coffee table that belonged to your grandma.  Trust me, it's a lot cheaper than buying brand new furniture.
I currently live in an apartment and I understand the urge to make you home Pinterest worthy.  I just have to be focused on my goal, which is to purchase a house in the next few years.  That goal, my friend, is pure motivation to keep me on track.  I'm pretty happy with the way my apartments looks and I'm glad I didn't spend a lot to achieve this.

What's your favorite piece of home decor?  Was it a splurge? 

9 comments:

  1. OMG This has inspired me to do a post on this haha. I've been wanting to for a little while now! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the vintage pieces. It's so dainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for anything vintage :)

      Delete
  3. I love that rustic wooden frame and those fun pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plants and pillows are always my go-to's for when I need to update something inside my home. I need to do better with the plants though...they don't look to happy at the moment! <3 Christine, The Choosy Mommy, www.choosykids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA pillows are not as high-maintenance as plants ;)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of plants (although I kill them most of the time) and pictures! I think they add such coziness but style to a home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love really, really low maintenance plants--they add a lot for very little money!

    ReplyDelete