Substitute Teaching 101



Get buisness cards.
Technically, my name and phone number is on a sub teacher list that has been sent to every school in my district.  You would think that they reach for that list whenever they need a teacher for the day.  But nope!  Whoever is in charge of finding substitute teachers will call teachers they know before they even take a look at that list.  That's why you need to make buisness cards and go to every school to introduce yourself.  It's worth the investment! 

Get up every morning like you're going to work...even when you're not.
First of all, waking up and getting ready as you would if you were going to work is a great way to get into a routine even if your schedule changes all the time.  Also, if you end up being called by a school in the morning, you will avoid the stress of making yourself presentable in less than 10 minutes because that's all the time you have before you have to leave.  I personally get up a 6:30 with my fiancé so we can have breakfast together!

Always have a lunch and other teacher necessities ready.
You never know when your going to get a call for a sub job so you should always be ready.  You can dedicate a bag to your teaching necessities and grab it with your purse before you go.  I also suggest that you  keep a couple of meals in your freezer so you can have them for lunch at school.  It's also an easy way to save money!

Have other side projects.
Waiting at home for the phone to ring can be depressing.  Instead of spending this time waiting, make the most of it!  I decided to complete my master's degree part time and I work on it on days I don't have a sub job.  I also have this blog which I love! It's nice to know that I can accomplish something, even on days I'm staying home.

I'm still  new to substitute teaching but I still hope that my tips will help you if you're going to experience it!  If you're a teacher, I would love for you to share your experience!

24 comments:

  1. My mom has been a sub at a few different points in my life. Teaching is a rough job sometimes, these tips would make it a lot smoother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's not an easy job! You don't want to add to the stress of the job by not being ready when you get called!

      Delete
  2. Great tips. I have been debating on taking teaching. It's good to know some of these things in advance. If I hopefully get the opportunity to get there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really!?! If that's really waht you want to do, go for it! It's not easy, especially when you subbing at the beginning of your career but it's worth it if you love it!

      Delete
  3. I was a sub for a while and I loved it! I loved getting to meet so many kids and learn what I wanted to be as a teacher through seeing and working in other classrooms! Awesome post, thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend!! xx Ashleigh @SimplyWright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My ultimate goal is to have my own students but I know I have to start by subbing!

      Delete
  4. These are all super awesome tips! I had to learn to get ready every morning as if I was going to sub after getting called in with 10 minutes to shower and dress! Crazy! Also, I always have a book in my purse to read for days when I'm just administering tests because it's important to model good academic behaviors to students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Getting ready in the morning is definitely key! And I agree with keeping a book with you: the worst thing teachers can do while the students are taking a test is playing on their phone!

      Delete
  5. Great tips! Especially the business card one; I never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buisness cards are a must! There's no rule saying that you have to have them but whenever I go to a school to introduce myself, they ask for mine.

      Delete
  6. Excellent suggestions! You are working towards an MBA along the way which is awesome. My kid would be lucky to have a substitute like you.
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Substitute teaching is such a hard job, but it definitely has it rewards too. Thanks for sharing you tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this list! I subbed a few times after I graduated and I wish I would have had this list haha. Getting up and getting ready every day is a GREAT tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! I'm working on finishing my teaching certificate so substitute teaching will most likely be in my future. I would have never thought to have business cards for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I was surprised to learn that it was "expected" from substitute teacher!

      Delete
  10. These are great tips! I'm a junior high teacher, so I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know that other teachers approve :)

      Delete
  11. I admire your determination, I'm sure they'll call you sooner than you expect!
    Baci,
    Coco et La vie en rose fashion blog - Valeria Arizzi

    ReplyDelete