The No-Gift Rule



My fiancé and I don't get each other gifts on our birthdays or any other occasion.  Yep, you read that right.

We have had this rule for over six months and are planning to keep it for at least another six month.  We made that decision because we are in an exciting phase of our lives and have a lot of projects for our money.  We're moving in a couple of days, getting married in three months and planning on buying a house in the next couple of years.  The projects we make happen are our gifts to each other!  Not giving each other gifts doesn't mean we're cheap or broke, it just means that we have other priorities right now!  If I knew that my fiancé really needed or wanted something around Christmas time, I would get it for him.  However, I'm not going to get him a gift just because it's "required" and I know he will do the same for me.  

It works for us and we still make Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries special!

If you're trying to save money and someone close to you is on the same boat, I encourage you to adopt the no-gift rule!  There are a ton of other ways to make special people around you know that you love them and that they're important to you.

Have you ever adopted the no-gift rule?  What do you think of it?

8 comments:

  1. My husband and I have the same rule. If we want something we buy it. If we need something same thing. Sometimes we will push it closer to the date of the event but in general why bother buy things for forced occasions. If I find something special I'll give it right away (I'm also terrible at secrets!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Whenever I get him something, I always want to give it to him right away because I can't wait to see his reaction!

      Delete
  2. We have a similar rule where in we set a small budget for each other to spend in order to put together a thoughtful gift. For Christmas I put together a couple "date-in-a-box" gifts for my husband and he gave me a thoughtful piece of jewelry that he helped design and make. I love that it keeps us budget friendly and that it helps us create sentimental gifts for one another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sentimental gifts are the best! I tend to remember those more than "regular" gifts.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I wonder if this is another "Millenial" tendency. Not to group everyone together, but people are saying that Millenials are actually quite frugal and I have to agree. We don't want to spend money on frivolous things unless it's really special, and even then, I agree, I don't to only do that on holidays - honestly, we haven't done birthday or Christmas gifts since we've been married, but instead give "experiences".. we can buy a new outfit any old time, but DOING something special has so much more meaning to me. Great post, Emilie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! I love your blog by the way! We tend to splurge more on trips which I love because we get to create so many great memories.

      Delete
  4. I haven't ever adopted that (but I'm single right now, lol), but it makes sense! And I think that gives you guys the opportunity to think of something special/unique/fun to DO instead, in lieu of a 'required' gift which would be much more meaningful and creates awesome memories. So...I like this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You could adopt that rule with a girlfriend or someone in you family, there's no need for a guy there ;)

      Delete