The Waiting Game



I recently shared with you this post about my new substitute teacher lifestyle.  I swear I'm trying to embrace it but it has been a bit hard this week.

Let's get personal here: I'm not really good at this waiting game.  I don't want my days to revolve around the phone ringing or not.  The problem is that I really want to work.  I love teaching.  I love getting up in the morning knowing I get to substitute teach for a part of the day.  I know I have to be patient but it's hard.

Like I said, I don't want to sit at home waiting for the phone to ring. That's why I found little projects to work on.  If you knew me in real life, you would be surprised to learn that I spent my afternoon making a painting.  I never really had any artistic talents so I'm pretty shocked that I felt the need to buy art supplies at the dollar store, sat down, and got that painting (almost) done.

Little projects like that painting are fun but I'm at a point in my life where I feel like I need a bigger project.  I know my teaching career is one but I don't feel like I'm building it by waiting at home.  I'm at a point where I did everything in my power to get myself known as a teacher around here and now I have to wait.  I have been actively working to reach my goals all my life and now I have to wait?!?  Girlfriend was not ready for this.

I'm not going to lie: I got bored today.  And it got me thinking.  I need to re-organize my day-to-day life.  I can't really have a schedule because it would change all the time with my sub jobs BUT I'm going to make to-do lists every day. I also have an idea for a website I would like to launch in a few months and I will start working on this project to see if I can make it come to life.  

That's it for my little update.  If you're in a situation similar to mine. please let me know so we can chitchat!



9 comments:

  1. It's nice to know other people get "bored" with their day to day lives. I am always looking for an extra side project to work on to keep me busy in my free time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally get me! By the way, I just found your blog and I LOVE IT. Had to follow :)

      Delete
  2. Clicked on this because I'm in my own kind of "waiting game" today--my husband just interviewed for a new job and now we're in that painstaking period of waiting to hear back. I'm doing my best to distract myself! I so admire that you are intentional about seeking out other ways to spend your time. Can't wait to hear more about the website you have in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he gets the job! Waiting to hear back from a job interview is a stressful time! Thank you so much for your comment Anna:)

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be everyday! Good for you for looking to fill your days with other things to get your mind off of it! Sounds like you are filling them with some great things, though...can't wait to hear more about your new website...that sounds exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be frustrating but the funny thing is that I got called soon after I published this for a job this afternoon! And I can't wait to share my new website projects ;)

      Delete
  4. I am also a substitute teacher but I have the opposite reality with having too much on my plate. I decided to substitute teach while being in grad school so I only have to find placements on two days and I access the system online.

    I have found recently that the positions are getting scarce due to it being the end of the semester, but I wouldn't be too dismayed. Once the next school year hits and holidays start coming around, things will get busy again. Good luck!

    oxox, Lesh
    http://LivingLesh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm also in grad school but I decided to focus on my teaching career and to only take one classe this semester...Maybe I should have signed up for two!

      Delete
  5. I hear you, lady! The waiting game is so hard when you are a sub. I had a hard time because I would make plans after a couple days of not getting called in and then on the day of my plans, I would get called in. There were a couple things I did to help fix this. I gave the sub coordinator a monthly calendar with the days I knew I wouldn't be available so I knew I wouldn't get a call. When I got to be good friends with the sub coordinator, I would text her at the beginning of every week and ask if there were any teachers who knew they needed a sub in advance (sports trips, doctors appointments, etc) and she would schedule me in for those days. It helped make my schedule for the week a little bit more predictable!

    xo, Chelsie @ Life with Rosie

    ReplyDelete