Is Going To College Worth it?



Honestly, I never really asked myself that question until I got into college and learned all about the harsh reality of job hunting after graduation.  Getting a higher education just seemed to be the right path to a comfortable life and a fulfilling career.  So I just went.

 I'm lucky enough to live in a province where college education is highly financed by the government, which means I didn't have to invest a lot of money in my education (around $2300/year).  Also, no matter what school or program I chose, the yearly tuition fees were the same.  Now that I'm officially a teacher, I have to go through substitute teaching for a few years before I get my own classroom.  Luckily, subs get paid around $200 for a full day.  It may seem high but remember that it's really rare for a teacher to sub five full days a week.  Also, we don't get to work in the summertime, obviously. So by the end of the year, we make a decent income but nothing to really be jealous of.

Then, I wondered what my situation would be like if I lived in the U.S.  Let's pretend I'm Texan for a few minutes.  Studying at the University of Texas would have cost me a total of $19 356 instead of  $9200.  How much would I make per day of subbing?  A big fat $90.  Yup. If I was lucky enough to work 4 days/week for 36 weeks/year, I would make an annual income of $12 960.  That's not enough, especially when you just paid close to $20  000 to be certified to do this job!  I used to earn more with the job I had as a student!

So, is college a good investment?  In my case, I think it was.  As far as my Texan self goes, I'm not quite sure.

I would like to add that the worth of your education doesn't only depend on how much you make after you graduate.  Improving you knowledge and skills is highly valuable, just as getting to work in a field that you love is.  

Bottom line: If you're planning to go to college because you want a big paycheck, think twice and do your research before you pick your major,  However, if you planning on going for the learning experience, also do your research to make sure you can afford it.  If you can, go for it my friend.  I loved the five years I spent in college  and that experience was definitely worth every penny!

I would love to hear you opinion about this, especially if you're American!

8 comments:

  1. College was worth it to me, but not just because of the financial return. I left college with around $30K in student debt. My husband left with more than twice that amount. I work for the government and don't make a lot of money (although my loans will be forgiven if I work for the government for 10 years). I learned a lot in college and geniunelly enjoyed my classes. But the best things I got out of college had nothing to do with what I learned and how much money I spent. I met my husband in college. And I met my best friend in the world in college. I can't put a price on either of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about college bringing more to your life than a career! I also met my soon-to-be-husband in college ;)

      Delete
  2. My husbands school debt with be around 94K. He just graduated so I don't know the whole investment for it. I don't know yet if it's worth it. If we stay in Canada probably not, but if we go to the states or anywhere else, it probably will be. I do however think education systems needs to be changed especially in Canada and the States.

    That's amazing the amount you make compared to subs in Texas. That is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to me that a lot of young adults need to start their "working lives" with crazy school debts. I agree with you, there's a problem there. I hope your husband lands a great job wherever you decide to live. I wish you both the beat of luck!

      Delete
  3. I think if you start college now, you have to plan to get an advanced degree. A bachelors degree is the new high school diploma; it used to mean something, it used to set you apart. Now, a masters is the new bachelors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wrote a post kind of similar to this two years ago... http://www.themorrelltale.com/2013/08/college-is-important.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me going to school has not been worth it. I have $40,000 in debt and I'm working in a restaurant. I wish I hadn't had a drink of the college Kool-Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...financial aid and merit scholarships can help with some of the costs of American colleges. As will going to in-state public schools (sometimes). Although, I do know a lot of realtors who are former teachers. I wonder if it's a money/appreciation thing.

    ReplyDelete